"Back 40" Celebration
In 2007 we celebrated the 40th year of organic training for apprentices at the UCSC Farm & Garden. A weekend celebration took place at UC Santa Cruz, July 27–29, 2007 to honor this milestone and showcase the work of four decades of Apprenticeship alumni.
Some Highlights from our 40th Anniversary Year
- The Apprenticeship in Ecological Horticulture staff received the coveted Steward of Sustainable Agriculture (or "Sustie") award at the 2007 Eco-Farm Conference for its 40 years of training organic farmers and gardeners at UC Santa Cruz. See the UCSC press release for details.
- Congressmember Sam Farr read a statement into the Congressional Record honoring the 40th anniversary of sustainable agriculture work at UC Santa Cruz.
- See an article in the Fall issue of UCSC's Review magazine about the 40th Anniversary of the Student Garden Project and CASFS activities.
- An article from the October-December 2007 issue of California Agriculture (pdf) described 40 years of sustainable innovations in farming and food systems at UC Santa Cruz.
- Farm manager Jim Leap was profiled in the Santa Cruz Sentinel.
- The Sustainable Food News ran an article on the 40th Anniversary of CASFS.
- See the July 29 and August 8 entries from Tana Butler's blog about the event.
- See a UCSC press release about the 40th Anniversary of CASFS.
- Read Orin Martin's remarksfrom the Friday evening reception at the Back 40 celebration.
Many thanks to our 40th Anniversary “Back 40” event sponsors for their support
Back 40 Seed Sowers
Peaceful Valley Farm & Garden Supply
Back 40 Cultivators
Boyce-Abel Associates & Family Land Consulting
Clif Bar Family Foundation
Heath and Lejeune
Straus Family Creamery
Falcon Trading Company
The Garden Company
Joni Janecki and Associates
Johnny's Selected Seeds
Renee's Garden Seeds
Seeds of Change
Barry Swenson Builders
Terra Nova Ecological Landscaping